Are you looking to get your B+E licence category?
At the Road Ahead we offer trailer towing training with our brand new trailer.
Whether you are needing a full course to learn towing from scratch and take the B+E (towing) driving test or just a quick refresher before towing again we have the trainers and facilities to be able to fulfil your requirements.
You may require training, for work or for pleasure, to enable you to tow, for example:
- A horse box
- A caravan
- A box trailer
- A trailer tent
The legal bit
- If you passed your driving test prior to 1st January 1997 you have a towing entitlement up to 8.25tonnes MAM (maximum authorised mass) on your licence and therefore for the above towing you do not need an additional test but may like some training.
- If you passed your driving test between 1st January 1997 and 18th January 2013 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM or tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
- From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow small trailers weighing no more than 750kg or a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.
Full details can be found on the DVSA government website by clicking this link:
The B+E test
Our trainers will train you to a high standard, enabling you to confidently pass your B+E test and become a safe and competent tower.
The B+E car and trailer driving test lasts approximately 90 minutes, is conducted at the test centre and on the public highway and requires you to show the ability to:
- Undertake safety checks on your vehicle and trailer
- Unhitch and re-couple
- Complete a reversing manoeuvre
- Complete a 60 minute road drive, demonstrating advanced observation, use of speed and management of space. This also include a 10 minute independent drive.
Courses are tailored around your needs and experience as we know one size does not fit all but please see below for the popular choices:
- The full course. Suitable for a person with limited driving experience and no towing experience. Taken over 3 days training with test soon after, including the DVSA test fee, £995
- Part way there. Suitable for a person with multi vehicle experience and some towing of smaller trailers. Taken over 2 days with test soon after, including the DVSA test fee, £755
- Brush up and test. Suitable for someone with towing experience, perhaps been unsuccessful on a previous B+E test, or towed on private grounds. Taken over 1 day with test soon after, including DVSA test fee, £515
- Refresher. Suitable for someone with towing on their licence who does not require the B+E test. Taken over a minimum of one day but can be extended if required. £240 per day
A day consists of 6 hours training with a breaks, usually starting at 8am or earlier by arrangement.
Evening and weekend sessions are available upon request and do carry a 15% surcharge to training hours.
When booking your course, the B+E test is booked and training scheduled to best prepare the trainee for this date and to suit both the trainee and trainers availability.
All prices are based on the trainee using our vehicle. If you would like to use your own vehicle this can be arranged with prior notification and a discount will be applied.
Test day consists of 4 hours, allowing some time pre test for curing nerves and last minute practice, the test and the drive back to your pick up point.