Your Instructor and The Road Ahead
Your instructor is a self-employed franchisee (‘your instructor’) of The Road Ahead (‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’).
The Road Ahead acts as an agent for your instructor in receiving your payments for driving tuition other than payments made directly by you to your instructor. Where The Road Ahead makes bookings with, or supplies any information or documentation to you, or processes any payments for your lessons, they act as the agent of your instructor.
The contract for driving tuition is solely between you (‘you’) and your instructor.
Agreement to the Terms and Conditions
By using any services of The Road Ahead and its Instructors, you agree to be bound to the Terms and Conditions as defined below.
Public road tuition is only available to persons who meet the following criteria:
- Aged 17 or over or aged 16 or over and in receipt of the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance (mobility component); and
- hold a valid UK driving licence; and
- legally entitled to drive in the UK.
You and your instructor are responsible for agreeing on all matters relating to the timing, location and duration of individual lessons.
You must notify your instructor of any matters which affect your ability or entitlement to have driving tuition, for example, but not limited to, any lack, or loss, of a valid UK driving licence.
Some instructors have CCTV systems within their car. These systems can record both inside and outside the car, at all times.
The use of the CCTV system could be, but not limited to, accident recollection, training and crime prevention.
Cancellation of Lessons
If you wish to cancel a lesson a minimum of 48 hours prior notice should be given. If your instructor cancels a lesson without giving this minimum period of notice your instructor shall rearrange the lesson. Cancellations by you must be made directly between you and your instructor.
If you do not give at least 48 hours notice of cancellation you will be charged half rate for the lesson(s) concerned. If you do not give at least 24 hours notice of cancellation you will be charged for the lesson(s) concerned in full at your instructors current rate. Please note, that in the event of you having booked your driving test, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) stipulates that you need to give three clear working days to cancel your test. This may mean that you may/will lose your DVSA test fee if your instructor says you are not ready for your test within this three day notice period. This includes the time in which you have booked with your instructor, charged at your instructors current rate.
Payments and Lesson Bookings
- Payment will be made before or at the beginning of the lesson unless your lesson is pre-paid.
- Payment for lessons can be made on the day by card to your instructor.
- Some instructors may take cash on the day, but please ask first.
- Payment can also be made by bank transfer, please speak with your instructor to confirm details.
The cost of prepaid tuition is based on the lesson price at the time of booking and, with the exception of the circumstances set out below, will be honoured for 6 months thereafter irrespective of any price increase that may occur between the date of booking and when the lessons are taken. Any unused lessons remaining after 6 months have elapsed shall have any lesson price increase applied prior to the lessons which shall become payable by you.
Circumstances where, if you have prepaid, you will be either be required to pay an additional amount beyond the cost of your pre-paid lessons or receive a refund of some of your prepayments (as applicable):
- Where you have moved postcode area and requested reallocation to another instructor because your current instructor does not operate in the new postcode area, you will be required to cover any difference in the hourly rate between those instructors where your new instructor charges a higher hourly rate or, where your instructor charges a lower rate, you will be refunded the difference.
- Where you have requested to switch instructors within the same postcode area and your new instructor charges a higher hourly rate than your previous instructor, you will be required to pay the difference in the hourly rate or, where your instructor charges a lower rate, receive a refund of the difference.
- Where you have requested to switch instructors in the same postcode area and your new instructor charges a supplement (for example an additional fee for tuition in a car with automatic transmission), you will be required to pay any such supplement.
- Where you have not undertaken any lessons for a period of three months and have been reallocated an instructor after a price rise in tuition has taken place you will be required to pay the difference in price for your remaining lessons.
- Where you have purchased lessons with a trainee instructor and, at your request, you are reallocated to a fully qualified instructor you will be required to pay the difference in the hourly rate between those instructors.
Refund Policy and Warranty
You are entitled to cancel your pre-paid tuition at any time (for the provisions relating to the cancellation of individual lessons please see ‘Cancellation of Lessons‘ above). If you have not taken any lesson(s) at the time of cancellation you will be entitled to a full refund of any amounts paid to The Road Ahead, subject to the points below.
- If you have taken lesson(s) at the time of cancellation you will not be eligible for a refund on any lessons taken.
- Where it is possible to do so, we will refund you using the same method you used to pay for your lessons when you made the payment. If for any reason we are unable to do this, we reserve the right to refund you by any other method we deem appropriate.
- We may request additional information from you to confirm your identity in order to comply with the Money Laundering Regulations 2007; we will also use this information to ensure adherence to our Merchant Operating Instructions for card collection facilities.
- Refunds may take up to 10 working days to reach you or your account.
- Refund of partial block booking will be made pro rata on any lessons not taken at the full rate of the instructor, not including any discounts applied.
- In the event of a ‘buy one get one free’ offer, no refund will take place once the first lesson has been taken.
- If you have paid using a prepaid gift card or The Road Ahead voucher, we will not be able to proceed to any refund after redemption of the card or voucher.
If you have paid your instructor for the tuition you wish to cancel, your instructor will refund you adhering to the same principles as set out above.
Transferability of Lessons
You cannot sell or transfer lessons which have been purchased in your name to any other person.
Limitation of Liability
Your instructor and/or The Road Ahead are not liable to you for any loss or damage caused where, and to the extent that:
- there is no breach of a legal duty owed to you by the relevant person or body;
- such loss or damage is not a reasonably foreseeable result of such a breach;
- any such loss or damage, or increase in the same, results from any breach or omission by you
- any such loss or damage results from circumstances or matters outside of the reasonable control of the relevant person or body.
Your instructor and/or The Road Ahead shall not, in any event, be liable for losses relating to any business interests you may have including, without limitation, lost profits, lost earnings, loss of opportunity or business or business interruption.
Your instructor and/or The Road Ahead shall not, in any event, be liable for any infringement of law, or penalties that occur when you are driving including, without limitation, speeding fines and points, contravening a red traffic light.
You are reminded that The Road Ahead are party to the contract for driving tuition itself, which is between you and your instructor. This does not affect any liability that your instructor may have for any loss or damage you may incur which is caused directly as a result of any breach (including negligence) by it or them of any legal duty owed by it or them to you.
Nothing in these terms and conditions will affect any statutory rights you may have as a consumer.
Your instructor will carry the appropriate motor insurance, should you be involved in a collision as a learner driver while in control of driving the instructor’s tuition vehicle, whilst with a registered instructor or examiner.
Damage to the School Car
During lessons, your instructor will make every effort to avoid damage to the car. However, if your instructor considers that you were driving in a dangerous or unpredictable way during a lesson and actual damage is caused despite best efforts made, you will be expected to pay half towards repairs (up to the level of excess on the instructor’s insurance policy). This will be discussed at the time of the damage.
In addition, during driving tests, the examiner will not prevent you, the candidate from hitting the kerb or causing other similar minor damage to the car. Therefore, all damage caused by you whilst on test will be charged to you (up to the level of excess on the instructor’s insurance policy).
Law Applying to Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales and are subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Your contract is between you and your instructor.
In the rare event of any problem arising, you should resolve this with your instructor immediately. We recommend no further lessons are taken until the matter is resolved.
In the unlikely event that you are unable to reach a satisfactory conclusion, we will be happy to investigate further until the matter is resolved. Please note that we will require evidence of any financial transactions and lesson times before we are able to investigate.
If you still feel dissatisfied, you may contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency on 0300 200 1122 who may be able to help you further.
Collection and Use of Data
Any personal data you provide will be held securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
We will use your personal data for the purpose(s) for which you have provided it. It may also be used for marketing, research and statistical purposes and crime prevention.
We may, however, need to disclose personal data to a third party so that the service you requested could be provided. Where this happens, we will endeavour to ensure that any recipient of your data will treat it with the same level of protection as we would.
Your data may be disclosed to regulatory bodies for the purposes of monitoring and/or enforcing compliance with any regulatory rules/codes.
If you give us information about another person, in doing so you confirm that they have given you permission to provide it to us to be able to process their personal data (including any sensitive personal data) and also that you have told them who we are and what we will use their data for, as set out in this notice.
In the case of personal data, with limited exceptions, you have the right to access and if necessary rectify information held about you by formal written application to your instructor, who is registered as a data controller.
By providing us with your personal data and contact details, you consent to the use of that data and to your being contacted by The Road Ahead company, by post, telephone, email, SMS or other electronic means, to inform you about products and services which it considers may be of interest to you. However, you can contact your instructor in writing at any time to suppress some or all The Road Ahead products.
The Road Ahead
Office: 103 Glebe Cresent, Rugby, CV21 2HQ
Call: 07792 549 230
Changes to the Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions can change at any time without prior notice. Your instructor will issue a new set of terms and conditions if they change. The new terms and conditions will be in effect from when they are written, not when you receive them.